Mountain Man Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound buffalo stew meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 whole clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Add the celery, onion and green pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potato, carrot, garlic salt, clove and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Discard clove and bay leaf. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1096mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
May 25, 2013
Very good flavor!
Dec 28, 2011
My family really enjoyed this soup. We used ground Buffalo which worked well for the kiddos. We're thinking of trying other meats like shredded roast or ground turkey to add some variety.
Oct 31, 2010
We loved this soup. I Substituted the buffalo for beef. Put it in the crock pot while we were at a football game. Also made TOH Cracked Pepper Bread to go with. Will be making this again!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.