Mascarpone-Mushroom Frittata Stack
When I bring this delicious egg dish to the table, I always get oohs and aahs! It looks impressive but is quite easy to prepare.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, 1/4 cup Romano cheese and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a 10-in. skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add basil, garlic, pepper and remaining salt; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Transfer to a bowl; stir in mascarpone cheese and remaining Romano cheese.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Pour in 2/3 cup egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges. As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- Let stand, covered, 5-7 minutes or until completely set. Remove to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Repeat with remaining egg mixture making two additional frittatas, using remaining oil as needed.
- Place one frittata on a serving platter; layer with half of the mushroom mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining frittata. Cut into wedges.