I grew up near Little India in California, and I loved the desserts from Indian sweets shops. One of them sold kulfi, a spiced and nutty frozen custard in cone molds. Here I use a shortcut method to make kulfi quickly and without any special equipment. The milk can be replaced with mango pulp for mango kulfi. —Justine Kmiecik, Crestview, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped shelled pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk milks, cream, milk powder, cardamom, sea salt and if desired, saffron until blended. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens slightly, about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl; cool.
- Stir in cashews, pistachios and extract. Transfer to four 4-oz. ramekins. Cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight. If desired, serve with additional nuts.