Sliced eggplant, diced green pepper or shredded cabbage can be used in place of onions for this onion kugel recipe. Easy and traditional, this dish resembles a delicious souffle. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/3 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Add the onions, matzo meal, oil, salt and pepper; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form; fold into onion mixture. Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.