Cauliflower Dill Kugel
I enjoy cauliflower and kugel, so it made sense to combine the two into one special dish. The ricotta cheese adds a distinctive creaminess and lightness. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced shallots
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dill weed, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower, thawed and patted dry
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup parsley, shredded cheese, 3 tablespoons dill, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir in cauliflower and shallots. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic powder and the remaining parsley, dill, lemon zest and salt. Sprinkle over cauliflower mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until set, 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 289 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Nov 7, 2018
This is delicious - thank you so much Arlene! I will admit that I only used half the amount of dill - not a big fan. Next time I may leave the dill out completely; it will still be awesome! Try this, it is quite tasty!