Bucatini with Sausage & Kale
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) bucatini pasta or fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound regular or spicy bulk Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale (about 5 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, decreasing time by 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water. Toss pasta with 2 teaspoons oil.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking sausage into large crumbles. Add garlic and remaining oil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in kale, salt and pepper; cook, covered, over medium-low heat until kale is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and reserved pasta water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until pasta is al dente and liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 512 calories, 30g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2018
This was a simple dish and was simply delicious. My grocery store didn't have bucatini, so I used spaghetti instead. My grocery store also didn't carry plain kale, so I used a kale mixture salad kit. All the other ingredients were available and used as directed. I did scatter a few red pepper flakes in it, but that was the end of my changes. We loved the result. My son carried the leftovers to work with him today.
Mar 14, 2018
I would like to try this. But I don't like kale. Would spinach work?
Mar 1, 2018
My family’s favorite recipe ever from Simple & Delicious!