My daughter-in-law gave me this recipe. Her grandmother was born in Greece and bakes these cookies for special occasions, including Christmas.—Carol Dale, Greenville, Texas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons whiskey or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place almonds in an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° until lightly browned, 5-10 minutes, stirring several times. When cool, process in a food processor until finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, whiskey or juice and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and reserved almonds; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into 3-in. logs. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; shape into crescents. Bake at 350° until set and bottoms are lightly browned, 14-18 minutes.
- Carefully roll warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.