Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 28 rolls
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups canned prune, poppy seed, cherry or lemon pie filling
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm milk; let stand 10 minutes. In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, remaining sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter and yeast/milk mixture. Mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add additional flour, if necessary. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and allow to rise again. Roll out on floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with large glass or 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Firmly press indentation in center and fill each roll with a heaping tablespoon of filling. Brush dough with egg white. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until rolls are light golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 kolache: 164 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 18, 2017
Easy, very good recipe. My grandparents were Bohemian, so this is a traditional (required!) food at our annual reunion for the entire extended family. This is probably the best kolache recipe I have tasted.
Mar 25, 2017
Very similar to what my grandmothers and mom made. Our favorites are poppyseed and prune. I haven't made these in ages. Now I need to hunt down fresh poppyseeds that do not cost an arm and a leg . . . Thanks for sharing, brings back memories!
Mar 9, 2017
You instructed "punch the dough down and let rise again" but for how long should I let it rise?
Oct 17, 2015
My Mothers used to make Kolaches all the time, never liked them when I was little, but I do now. She wrote the recipe down the problem is its hard to know what she is saying, everything she cooked was written in her head. She passed away a year ago at age 94 do miss her. Her recipe calls for 3 egg yolks 1 egg and lard. Let's hope it works, and she mixed the poppy seed with apple sauce.
Mar 15, 2013
My Grandma was a full-blooded Bohemian and she used to make kolaches when I was little. Unfortunately, I didn't get her recipe, but I was thinking of her the other day and wanted to give my kids a taste of our heritage. They turned out great! The bread is so soft, sweet, and golden in color. I used canned apricot and poppyseed filling, as well as a homemade cream cheese filling. I liked them all, but my kids' favorite was the cream cheese with apricot second. They didn't like the poppyseed. I think my grandma also used to make prune and cottage cheese fillings.
Feb 13, 2013
I am Bohemian and grew up on these,these are the real deal
Nov 29, 2011
<p>These are absolutely wonderful. I plan on using the dough for dinner rolls sometime. DELIeious S</p>