Holiday Pound Cake with Strawberry Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 80 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberry ice cream topping
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with strawberry topping and fresh strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 419 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 3, 2016
This pound cake is delicious! It's great with the strawberry topping or with just about any other toppings (such as whipped cream and chocolate syrup) or even just plain. It's a staple in my recipe file.
Jul 21, 2013
I have made this pound cake many times!!! It is so good!!!! I have made it for a bridal shower and cut in into cubes for parfaits. I have made it for Christmas dinner and made a light powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over it and then dusted it with edible glitter-so pretty and festive! It also freezes well!
Jul 21, 2013
I have made this pound cake many times!!! It is so good!!!! I have made it for a bridal shower and cut in into cubes for parfaits. I have made it for Christmas dinner and made a light powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over it and then dusted it with edibles glitter-so pretty and festive! It also freezes well!
Dec 24, 2012
I found this recipe several years ago in Taste of Home magazine however lost the issue and couldn't remember the ingredients. This cake is so delicious and taste like grandma's pound cake. Moist and flavorful. The entire family raves over how good it is everytime I make it. I substitute the mayo in place of the shortening to cut down on calories. It turns out great. So glad to see it again. This time it goes in my cookbook for safe keeping.
Jul 30, 2011
BIG PROBLEM HERE - The instructions don't list the sugar in the creaming section. Fortunately I checked the ingredients list to make sure I had everything in & added it at the end which isn't recommended. Otherwise, it is excellent with my changes...used almond flavor in place of the lemon & baked in 2 loaf pans - 325* for 55 min. Will make again - my husband loves it!!