- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberry ice cream topping
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and cream cheese. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in extracts. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve with strawberry topping and fresh strawberries if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forHoliday Pound Cake with Strawberry Topping
"I have made this pound cake many times!!! It is so good!!!! I have made it for a bridal shower and cut in into cubes for parfaits. I have made it for Christmas dinner and made a light powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over it and then dusted it with edible glitter-so pretty and festive! It also freezes well!"
"I have made this pound cake many times!!! It is so good!!!! I have made it for a bridal shower and cut in into cubes for parfaits. I have made it for Christmas dinner and made a light powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over it and then dusted it with edibles glitter-so pretty and festive! It also freezes well!"
"I found this recipe several years ago in Taste of Home magazine however lost the issue and couldn't remember the ingredients. This cake is so delicious and taste like grandma's pound cake. Moist and flavorful. The entire family raves over how good it is everytime I make it. I substitute the mayo in place of the shortening to cut down on calories. It turns out great. So glad to see it again. This time it goes in my cookbook for safe keeping."
"BIG PROBLEM HERE - The instructions don't list the sugar in the creaming section. Fortunately I checked the ingredients list to make sure I had everything in & added it at the end which isn't recommended. Otherwise, it is excellent with my changes...used almond flavor in place of the lemon & baked in 2 loaf pans - 325* for 55 min. Will make again - my husband loves it!!"