VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light. Add shortening and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts; add to bowl and mix well. Spread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Break torte into small pieces and arrange on a serving plate. Just before serving, place fruit on top and cover with whipped cream. Fruit can be varied by season. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Himmel Futter Torte in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p10
Reviews forHimmel Futter Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012
"At family reunions this the first dessert to go!"