It may look like this torte took hours to make, but it has a surprisingly short list of ingredients. A small slice splendidly satisfies a sweet tooth.—Rosetta Hockett, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks and melted chocolate; beat on low speed just until combined. Combine almonds and flour; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Spread jam over top of cake. For glaze, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter; spread over jam. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or until set. Freeze option: Bake the cake and let cool (do not top with jam); freeze in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw at room temperature overnight. Top with the jam and glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 328 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Raspberry Sacher Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010