It may look like this torte took hours to make, but it has a surprisingly short list of ingredients. A small slice splendidly satisfies a sweet tooth.—Rosetta Hockett, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks and melted chocolate; beat on low speed just until combined. Combine almonds and flour; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Spread jam over top of cake. For glaze, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter; spread over jam. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or until set. Freeze option: Bake the cake and let cool (do not top with jam); freeze in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw at room temperature overnight. Top with the jam and glaze.