Harvesttime Chicken with Couscous
Even on busy days, I can start this chicken in a slow cooker and still get to work on time. When I come home, spinach salad and crescent rolls round out the menu. —Heidi Rudolph, Oregon, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup peach or mango salsa
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, layer sweet potatoes, red pepper and chicken breasts. In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, salsa, raisins and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until sweet potatoes and chicken are tender.
- About 10 minutes before serving, prepare couscous. In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; coarsely shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker, stirring gently to combine. Serve with couscous.
- Freeze option: Place cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently; add a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups chicken mixture with 1/2 cup couscous: 351 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Time Chicken with Couscous in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.