We eat grapefruit for breakfast and in winter-fruit salads—why not for dessert? Here's a sweet-tart cake that's easy, delicious and one of a kind. Oh, and healthy, too! —Maiah Miller, Montclair, Vermont
Recommended: 32 Light Desserts That’ll Hit the Spot
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- OPTIONAL GLAZE AND TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit sections
- Fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Combine next seven ingredients. Gradually stir flour mixture into yogurt mixture, then pour into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar with enough grapefruit juice to reach desired consistency; drizzle glaze over top, allowing some to flow over sides. Top cake with grapefruit sections and fresh mint leaves.
- Freeze option: Omitting glaze and topping, securely wrap cooled cake in plastic and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare glaze; top as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Grapefruit Yogurt Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2018