Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups prepared vanilla or cream cheese frosting, divided
- Red and green gel food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating. Place 1-1/4 cups frosting in a bowl; tint red. Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake. Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with green frosting.
- Cut a 1/4-in. hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting. Pipe around top edge of cake where green and pink frostings meet. For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top.
Jun 13, 2014
this is so beautiful
Aug 15, 2013
so pretty to serve and so easy to make. Finding the watermelon jello was the hardest thing about this cake. Kids love it!
Aug 30, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this recipe. The cake was delicious, but I couldn't do anything with it because it completly crumbled and fell apart. I made my own white cake, and then I followed the directions to frost it, and it was delicious. I made homemade cream cheese frosting. I give this a 3 star, because the cake crumbled at the slightest touch, but still tasted good by itself, and I like the creativity.
Jun 19, 2012
I did this one in cupcakes and added mini chips to the batter. They were super cute and loved by all.
Apr 26, 2011
I've made this cake twice for my daughter's birthday (she liked it so much she asked for it again). The first time I made it I had to use strawberry jello and it was great. Second time I used watermelon jello and it was just as good. Now my daughter is old enough to bake cakes by herself so maybe she will be the next in our house to attempt this.
Apr 16, 2011
My daughter requested it for her birthday. This was the easiest cake I ever made! I guess I was lucky that our Walmart carries the watermelon jello in winter. The kids LOVED it!!!!!
Oct 27, 2010
I have made this and just put food coloring in my cake batter to make it pink. It tastes as good and you don't have to worry about finding the jello.
Sep 14, 2009
The only problem is that watermelon jello is seasonal, so I found Jell-O Melon Fusion and it taste just as good.
Jun 4, 2009
I have been using this recipe for years. The only problem is that watermelon jello is seasonal where I live, so I stock up!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.