Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit wheels and fresh mint leaves, optional
- Fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Combine next seven ingredients. Gradually stir flour mixture into yogurt mixture, then pour into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool.
- For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar with enough grapefruit juice to reach desired consistency; drizzle glaze over top, allowing some to flow over sides. Top cake with grapefruit and mint if desired.
- Freeze option: Omit glaze. Securely wrap cooled cake in plastic and foil; freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare glaze; top as directed.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 187 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 4, 2018
This was quite good. I used the zest of one large grapefruit plus the zest of one orange. The grapefruit flavor really just came from the glaze and topping. I baked for a little longer than 30min and the outside was a little overdone even though the toothpick never came out clean so it didn't bake evenly. It might be because I used a glass pie plate instead of a cake pan. I'll definitely make this again since it's a tasty low calorie dessert. It doesn't give 12 servings unless you only want 2 bites (9inch one-layer, of course that's 8 servings).