Grandma’s English Trifle
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 prepared loaf pound cake or 1 package (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 package (3 to 3-1/2 ounces) regular or instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Slivered almonds
- Maraschino cherries, halved
- Slice pound cake in half horizontally. Spread with jam and replace top of cake. Slice cake into 9 pieces. Line the sides and fill the center of a 2-qt. glass serving bowl with cake pieces. Prepare pudding with milk. Pour over cake. Chill. Beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form; spread over cake and pudding. Chill at least 4 hours. Garnish with almonds and cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 292 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 25, 2019
Nothing like an ''English'' trifle. English trifle is made using a thin base of vanilla sponge soaked in the juice of a can of pears mixed with a glass of sherry, jam spread on top, a layer of sliced canned pears, a layer of custard and a layer of whipped double cream sprinkled with toasted almonds and studded with glace cherries.
Jun 2, 2019
Abealka there is no cream cheese in ingredients because this recipe does not use cream cheese.I loved this recipe especially cool for summer.If you don’t have a trifle bowl you can use a glass mixing bowl not as pretty but useable.
May 31, 2019
I was thinking, if you can find it, Birds custard might be better than vanilla pudding. Cost Plus World Market sells it. But, it sounds good. I will have to acquire a trifle bowl.
May 31, 2019
Looks good but no mention In the ingredient list about the cream cheese?