Grandma’s English Trifle
This delicious trifle recipe was my grandmother's. I remember Mother telling me stories from her girlhood—especially how her mother would make an enormous dish of this dessert for Saturday night dinners, when they often had guests. If there were leftovers, they'd have that trifle for dessert every night that week until it was gone! Nowadays, on our dairy farm, this recipe always goes over big with my husband and six children.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 prepared loaf pound cake or 1 package (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 package (3 to 3-1/2 ounces) regular or instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Slivered almonds
- Maraschino cherries, halved
- Slice pound cake in half horizontally. Spread with jam and replace top of cake. Slice cake into nine pieces. Line the sides and fill the center of a 2-qt. glass serving bowl with cake pieces. Prepare pudding with milk. Pour over cake. Chill. Beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form; spread over cake and pudding. Chill at least 4 hours. Garnish with almonds and cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 292 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's English Trifle in Reminisce January/February 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.