Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cherries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar
- Place the walnuts, dates and cherries in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the honey, orange zest and spices. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 sugarplum: 84 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2014
These are delish. They make wonderful gifts. I melted 1 cup of dark chocolate with 1 Tbs oil to pour over the top of the fruit balls!
Sep 19, 2014
These are wonderful! I didn't have cherries so I used cranberries. I will try the cherries next time.
Jan 1, 2014
EXCELLENT! Huge hit and a surprise to ones who had never tried a "sugarplum" - only heard of them in Christmas stories. My husband is on a GF diet so it was nice to surprise him with a treat he could enjoy.
Jan 7, 2012
These were a huge hit everywhere I took them. I made several trays of treats for neighbors and work and everyone ranted and raved at how delicious these were. I'm sure I will make them every year from now on! Contrary to other reviews - using my food processor - I thought these were quick and easy!
Dec 28, 2011
Time consuming to make but very tasty! They were moist and flavorful with lots of spice.
Dec 7, 2011
FABULOUS! I can't wait to get to the store for more dates. These are EXCELLENT!! My kids thought they were getting away with something eating the "dough"! I used almonds instead of walnuts, the texture was fine but walnuts would make them richer. I want to try dried apricots and/or golden raisins in place of or along with the dried cherries.