Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken into pieces
- 16 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the first five ingredients on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, honey, nutmeg and spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until syrup reaches desired consistency, 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Discard spice bag; transfer syrup to airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 108 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 28g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2017
Jun 23, 2017
This was great!
Dec 1, 2014
I made this and gave it as a gift for my son's and they loved it and asked for the recipe. It's a winner.
Nov 28, 2014
This is amazing. Great flavor! Great to make and share for holiday gifts!