These layered squares are more “sophisticated” than my usual lineup of Christmas candy, but they’re also very popular. People love the pairing of chocolate and hazelnuts. —Virginia Sauer, Wantagh, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 3 pounds
- 1-1/2 pounds shelled hazelnuts, skins removed
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 milk chocolate Toblerone candy bars (3.52 ounces each), chopped
- Line an 8-in. square dish with foil. Place hazelnuts and oil in a food processor; cover and process until mixture forms a paste.
- In a large saucepan, melt bittersweet chocolate. Stir in 2-1/4 cups hazelnut mixture. Pour half of mixture into prepared dish. Refrigerate until firm.
- Melt candy bars; stir in remaining hazelnut mixture. Pour over bittersweet layer. Refrigerate until firm.
- Reheat remaining bittersweet mixture if necessary; pour over candy bar layer. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 168 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Gianduja in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.