- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 prepared 9-inch round chocolate cakes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir in 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Beat in the shortening, butter, vanilla, salt and remaining sugar until smooth. Spread between cake layers.
- For glaze, melt butter and cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forEdna's Ho Ho Cake
"I read all the reviews...folks I used granulated sugar..as written. the trick is to beat it a LONG time, as I do ANY buttercream or filling recipe. That makes it light and fluffy. Patience is the key you need to let the sugar dissolve. I am lucky enough to have a stand mixer..i turn it on and walk away and do something else for 5 minutes. If i didnt have a stand mixer I would just take the time to use a hand mixer the same way. Directions are clear to use 2 9" PREPARED chocolate layers. This is a great recipe...everyone loves it!!"
"Really good. I've made it twice. The recipe definately means confectioners sugar. When making the filling just keep beating it until it thickens. It takes awhile."
"what was the filling between layers?this recipe as printed omitted the hoho filling"
"what kind of shortening did everyone use?"
"Is there something missing in your recipe? Perhaps using prepared cake mix for the layers? Patricia J"
"We made this for my sons 2nd birthday party. It was fantastic! I received all sorts of great compliments."
"am not saying to change the granulated sugar called for in the filling to confectioner's sugar. Take Try2cook4fun's advice and chill the filling while baking your cake. Then, after adding the remaining ingredients, beat for a good 5 minutes to make a light, fluffy filling in which the sugar is completely dissolved."