Tillie’s Ginger Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 12-in. cast-iron skillet or 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 21, 2019
Hi I think there is too much flour for the amount of butter. I had to mix the top layer into the cake otherwise it'd just burn. I therefore had to lower the heat so the middle would bake and so the top may burn. Good cake just need to make a few adjustments.
May 9, 2017
This is very similar to a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother who was born in the late 1800's. My grandpa and I loved this cake (our recipe included raisins)--very good with a cup of coffee!