Tillie’s Ginger Crumb Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 2 cups. Combine remaining crumb mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved crumbs into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish or 12-in. oven-proof skillet. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 9, 2017
This is very similar to a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother who was born in the late 1800's. My grandpa and I loved this cake (our recipe included raisins)--very good with a cup of coffee!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.