Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 353 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 19, 2019
Mmm, not bad. I was looking for quick and easy and not too much. Did not alter the recipe except to bake in in a Corelle square baking dish. Well, my baking powder is a few months past best by date. So, it's only a thin little cake, but moist and tasty anyway. I don't mind a little crunch around the edges of this kind of cake. I made a simple buttercream frosting for it.
Sep 21, 2019
Okay. I remade the cake with greasing and flouring the pan first. It worked like a charm. No sticking. Oh, I also used butter instead of shortening. I think it will be perfect for my small dinner party tonight.
Jan 16, 2018
Easy recipe. I enjoyed the cake but I think next time I would try a different frosting. I will make again.
Feb 5, 2016
I just made this cake. I tweaked it a little by using salted butter instead of shortening and I only used 1/3 C of sugar as I don't like real sweet things and 1/2c would be too sweet for me. I also added a little lemon flavoring as well as vanilla. For the icing I used semi-sweet dark chocolate, a little butter and a little milk.......it made a nice glossy, glazy icing. OMG! Perfect!! Nice and buttery with just the right amount of sweet. This cake is great when you don't want a big cake...just a little something to satisfy a craving. I give it 5 stars making it my way : - )
Aug 24, 2015
I have never made a cake from scratch before, so after hours of searching for scratch recipes, I came across this one because of the great reviews. And I LOVED it. It gets 5 stars, but it does have a slightly floury taste. Not too sure if it is from the flour or the shortening giving it a powder sort of taste. This recipe will be added to my favorites and I can't wait to use it again. I used the cake to make a pineapple upside-down cake.
Jul 1, 2015
This is a good cake. I may double the recipe to make a larger cake next time. The flavor is very good. Instead of frosting the cake, I served it with a scoop of ice cream and fresh strawberries.
Dec 28, 2014
I just made this and it is good.
Sep 25, 2014
A family hit. Nice size for a little family treat. No adjustments, simple and basic ingredients. This recipe is a keeper.
Apr 21, 2014
Great made from scratch yellow cake.
Feb 6, 2014
Love! I made some changes, used butter instead of shortening. I also found out after I started making the frosting that I didn't have powdered sugar. I ended up drizzling the brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the cake. It was amazing, don't think I'll even add the powdered sugar next time.