Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- PENUCHE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting over top of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 353 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 16, 2018
Easy recipe. I enjoyed the cake but I think next time I would try a different frosting. I will make again.
Feb 5, 2016
I just made this cake. I tweaked it a little by using salted butter instead of shortening and I only used 1/3 C of sugar as I don't like real sweet things and 1/2c would be too sweet for me. I also added a little lemon flavoring as well as vanilla. For the icing I used semi-sweet dark chocolate, a little butter and a little milk.......it made a nice glossy, glazy icing. OMG! Perfect!! Nice and buttery with just the right amount of sweet. This cake is great when you don't want a big cake...just a little something to satisfy a craving. I give it 5 stars making it my way : - )
Aug 24, 2015
I have never made a cake from scratch before, so after hours of searching for scratch recipes, I came across this one because of the great reviews. And I LOVED it. It gets 5 stars, but it does have a slightly floury taste. Not too sure if it is from the flour or the shortening giving it a powder sort of taste. This recipe will be added to my favorites and I can't wait to use it again. I used the cake to make a pineapple upside-down cake.
Jul 1, 2015
This is a good cake. I may double the recipe to make a larger cake next time. The flavor is very good. Instead of frosting the cake, I served it with a scoop of ice cream and fresh strawberries.
Dec 28, 2014
I just made this and it is good.
Sep 25, 2014
A family hit. Nice size for a little family treat. No adjustments, simple and basic ingredients. This recipe is a keeper.
Apr 21, 2014
Great made from scratch yellow cake.
Feb 6, 2014
Love! I made some changes, used butter instead of shortening. I also found out after I started making the frosting that I didn't have powdered sugar. I ended up drizzling the brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the cake. It was amazing, don't think I'll even add the powdered sugar next time.
Dec 15, 2013
Made this cake for our 3rd. Son 25 Birthday today he loved it :)grandchildren enjoyed helping making it, (also so delicious and moist)! Thank u!
Jul 24, 2013
such a great recipe for a yellow cake , moist with rich flavor, i made it more than once already! thanks a lot for sharing the recipe