I think this recipe combines two of the best and most famous ingredients from the South: sweet tea and pecans! Using a cake mix simplifies prep and helps ease the holiday time crunch. —Melissa Millwood, Lyman, SC
Recommended: 17 Ways to Get More Fruitcake in Your Life
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup strong brewed tea, cooled, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 3/4 cup tea, eggs, oil, vanilla and lemon extract; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, butter and enough remaining tea to reach desired consistency. Pour glaze over top of cake, allowing some to flow over sides. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Down South Sweet Tea Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p96