Date Nut Meringues
It's always nice to make different recipes to enhance my Christmas cookie selection each year. Since I like to bake but not fuss too much, these old-fashioned chews are a good choice.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Fold in dates and pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 75 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Date Nut Meringues in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.