Date Nut Meringues
It's always nice to make different recipes to enhance my Christmas cookie selection each year. Since I like to bake but not fuss too much, these old-fashioned chews are a good choice.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Fold in dates and pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 75 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Date Nut Meringues in Country Woman Christmas 2000