These cake-like cookies are nutritious, flavorful and firm enough to pack well in brown-bag lunches.—Doris Barb, El Dorado, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats, dates and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and tops are firm to the touch. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 97 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Date Drops in Taste of Home December/January 2000