Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup broken walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add water and mix lightly. Press half into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture on top. Cover with remaining oat mixture; pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
1 each: 113 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.