Cornmeal Towers with Strawberries & Cream
My kids love to help make these towers. They measure, mix, whisk and build stacks. It's a family custom and a perfect summer breakfast or dessert. —Josie Shapiro, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In another bowl, mix milk, ricotta cheese, orange juice, honey and extract until blended. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry; fold into batter.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat; grease with butter. Filling a 1/4-cup measure halfway with batter, pour batter onto griddle or skillet. Cook until edges begin to dry and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. Cool pancakes slightly.
- In a bowl, toss strawberries with sugar. For each serving, stack three pancakes, layering each pancake with strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts3 pancakes with 3 tablespoons each strawberries and whipped cram: 245 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.