Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, coffee granules and salt until light and fluffy; gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with baking chips and remaining shortening. Drizzle over cookies; refrigerate until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 137 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 23, 2019
Tried these for my Christmas cookie tins for neighbors and friends. Has a subtle coffee flavor and lightly crisp texture. I didn't bake mine for 20 min though.
Dec 18, 2019
I was hoping these were as good as they look, and they are! I normally don’t use brown sugar in my shortbread, but it works well with the instant coffee. So good!
Mar 9, 2019
OH, so good. And surprisingly easy to make. Keep well (if you can keep from eating them all at once). I like the crispness of a thinner cookie, so these are perfect for me. Instead of the drizzle, I dipped a corner of each one in melted chocolate. Super good even without the chocolate, though.
May 1, 2017
Superb! Great coffee taste, nice crispy shortbread. I didn't do the chocolate drizzle. I would give these ten stars, if I could - Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Dixie!
Apr 6, 2017
These were very tasty!! This recipe will go into my favorites!
Oct 16, 2016
Perfect, crunchy cookie! Will definitely be adding theses cookies to my annual Christmas gift baskets; I'm sure they'll be a hit! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Jan 22, 2016
I made these for the first time as part of my Christmas cookie baking. I found them incredibly easy to make. The dough rolled out well and I was able to cut each cookie out with no problem. I drizzled the melted chocolate/white chocolate using a spoon and it worked very well and the end result was pretty. NOTE: the dough is not sweet, so the chocolate drizzle is a must! I found rolling the dough to 1/4 too thin. Shortbread cookies should be on the thicker side. Next time I may try adding a little cinnamon to the dough for an added flavor.
Nov 26, 2015
4 star. These are addictive, especially if you like coffee flavor. I decided just to frost them with chocolate icing.
Oct 13, 2015
I made these for my card group today and they were hit, a lot of requests for the recipe, definitely will make these again
Jan 6, 2015
I really liked this recipe for many reasons--the dough was very easy to make, it rolled and cut beautifully without prior chilling, and they tasted delicious. I let the icing firm up completely before placing them in a freezer container and freezing them for an upcoming meeting where I want to serve an assortment of cookies. I, of course, had to taste one and once I did I knew I would be making these cookies often!