Coconut Key Lime Thumbprints
This is the cookie recipe I created for the Las Vegas World Food Championships 2013. It's similar to a shortbread thumbprint cookie, but with lots more personality. —Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Key lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- For lime curd, in a small saucepan, whisk cornstarch and lime juice until smooth. Whisk in sugar and egg yolks; cook and stir over medium heat until boiling. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd; refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually beat in flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and water. Place coconut in a separate bowl. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Dip in egg whites, then roll in coconut, coating well. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Reshape indentations as needed. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- To serve, fill each cookie with about 1-1/2 teaspoons curd. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate leftover filled cookies.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 182 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Coastal Coconut Key Lime Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.