Coconut Key Lime Thumbprints
This is the cookie recipe I created for the Las Vegas World Food Championships 2013. It's similar to a shortbread thumbprint cookie, but with lots more personality. —Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Key lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- For lime curd, in a small saucepan, whisk cornstarch and lime juice until smooth. Whisk in sugar and egg yolks; cook and stir over medium heat until boiling. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd; refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Gradually beat in flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and water. Place coconut in a separate bowl. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Dip in egg whites, then roll in coconut, coating well. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Reshape indentations as needed. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- To serve, fill each cookie with about 1-1/2 teaspoons curd. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate leftover filled cookies.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 182 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Coastal Coconut Key Lime Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018