Pineapple Coconut Squares
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour and baking powder; stir into egg mixture. Press into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread pineapple over crust; set aside.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Beat in eggs. Stir in coconut. Spread over pineapple. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 192 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 30, 2016
no ajustment need, everyone was so delight on very tasty this square,
Mar 13, 2013
Too many calories per serving
Aug 11, 2012
The top of these bars completely crumbled and came off when cutting. They are very tasty, but they don't resemble the picture. The picture looks like coconut was sprinkled on top after they came out of the oven.
Apr 26, 2011
doubled this and it turned out great. i would make it again.
Jan 6, 2011
Nov 11, 2010
Quick and easy to make. We cut the sugar for the topping in half and had no trouble with the squares holding together. After baking we dusted the top lightly with cinnamon, which made a big difference in our overall satisfaction with this dessert.
Nov 2, 2010
This topping and base does not hold together. To correct the topping, try folding the pineapple into the coconut topping. Double the butter in the shortbread base to prevent crumbling. Also, my family & I found the amount of coconut overwhelming - cut back to 1/2 cup. With these alterations, it might be worth making again.
May 24, 2010
This was most peculiar...It doesn't hold itself together very well (tends to crumble).
Apr 16, 2010
this was very GOOD
Jan 24, 2010
It was quick and easy. My family, who usually does not like anything that is not chocolate - loved this.