- 7 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 quarts tomato puree or sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and celery. Cook in batches if necessary. Drain any fat. Add all remaining ingredients except last two; cook 10 minutes. Stir in cheese; cook until melted. Serve on buns. Yield: 50 servings.
Reviews forChurch Supper Sloppy Joes
"These sloppy joes make enough for everyone!! These are sooo good!!"
"My husband and I love this recipe! Classic & delicious sloppy joes!"
"THIS IS GREAT !!! I have made this recipe several times now and get rave reviews each time. I have it as it, increased the recipe and also halved it. Never an issue."
"Great recipe. The solution to finding a 4-serving recipe is to look elsewhere if you you don't want to do the the math. There are tons at many sites."
"This sounds delicious, but I'll have to 'eye-ball' all of the ingredients in order to make less. The only thing which I'll do differently is to add in some finely diced green bell pepper. YUM!"
"I have made this recipe more than once. It's delicious and a large crowd pleaser."
"This sounds good but I can only use a serving for 4 at most. Seems a lot of trouble to figure out 4 servings instead of 50. Any solution???"