- 12 thick-sliced bacon strips (about 1 pound)
- 6 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Optional toppings: chopped dried apple chips, apricots and crystallized ginger, finely chopped pecans and pistachios, toasted coconut, kosher salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 400°. Thread bacon strips, weaving back and forth, onto twelve 12-in. soaked wooden skewers. Place on a rack in a large baking pan. Bake until crisp, 20-25 minutes. Drain on paper towels; cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Brush onto both sides of six bacon strips; sprinkle with toppings as desired. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Brush onto both sides of remaining bacon; decorate as directed.
- Refrigerate until set. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate-Covered Bacon
"Sweet and salty flavors go so well together and chocolate covered bacon is no exception! This is a fun recipe to make as you can experiment with different toppings. I used crystallized sugar to sprinkle on top of the bacon while the chocolate was setting which turned out to be pretty and delicious. I will definitely make this recipe again!"
"My family loves making these. They are the prefect combination of sweet and savory. These do take some work but when you set up stations it can be fun for all."
"I havent made this yet but Im making it for Thanksgiving . . . thought Id might add a little something different to the table :)"
"I just made this recipe. I made it as it said. It was interesting. I didn't put any toppings on it. I also made it with turkey bacon. I couldn't find thick turkey bacon, so I used 2 pc instead of 1 on each skewer. I thought the taste was great. Next time I make it, I'm gonna try chopped nuts, I think that would add to the taste."
"If you have ever had pancakes and bacon and got syrup on your bacon I bet you didnt run screaming to the sink to wash it off! The white chocolate is awesome!"
"I made these last night and it was yummy! I love the combination of sweet and salty ingredients."
"Everyone LOVED them! Who da thought!!!!"
"I got enough people to get past the whole "weird" thought of this recipe and we all tried it. Even the people that thought the whole idea was terrible said that it actually tasted pretty good."