Chocolate Bavarian Torte
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers three times. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 495 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 12, 2015
This was really tasty! My cakes came out a bit flat and broke apart a bit when I took them out of the pan so I made the ingredients into a Trifle instead. It was still a hit with everyone and my company took some home!
Feb 12, 2015
I can't use whipping cream could I use Cool Whip in place of?
Feb 10, 2015
I LOVE this recipe. My grandchildren call this "Ding Dong Cake" and it's always a winner! The filling really MAKES this cake a success!
Jan 18, 2015
I LOVED this cake!!!! The cream filling could be eaten by the table spoon!! I made a big one using two cake mixes, using 10 inch pans! Beautiful!!
Oct 28, 2014
Feb 24, 2014
My favorite cake so far. This was incredibly easy to make, and the family loved it. It took only a few ingredients, so it didn't cost much, and it wasn't even time consuming. The taste of outstanding. I seriously only got one small piece and the cake was gone.
Feb 16, 2013
Unbelievably good! I only had 1/4 cup brown sugar and it still came out great. The taste reminds my family of an ice cream sandwich. Next time will play around with different flavors for the whipped cream - anxious to try almond or hazelnut.
Dec 23, 2012
Very easy to make- but very impressive. I made this cake several years ago, and lost it so I was very happy to find it online. Just remember it needs a day to set before serving!
Dec 19, 2012
I have made this cake over and over. One of my son's now says this is his favorite cake. It is also one of my favorites. However, the recipe in "The First 10 Years" cookbook has 2/3 cup brown sugar. I can't imagine the same taste only using 1/3 cup as states in the above recipe. Its the brown sugar that gives it the unique taste.
Aug 2, 2012
I have been making this cake since it came out in the magazine ! It is my go to cake for the perfect ending to any meal. It is now officially known as the birthday cake only because my husband and I can't eat it quick enough, our boys and grandkids come home for it ! awesome
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.