These onions are stuffed with a delicious blend of cheeses and cooked in vegetable broth. Experiment to find the blend you like. Instead of goat cheese, try cream cheese or mascarpone cheese. For the blue cheese, you can use Gorgonzola cheese, and in place of Romano, you can use Parmesan. It’s all delicious! —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
Featured In: 40 Hearty Vegetarian Recipes for the Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large Vidalia or other sweet onions
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Peel onions. Cut a 1/2-in. slice off top of each onion; remove centers with a melon baller, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Chop removed onion, reserving 3 cups (save remaining onion for another use). Mix together goat and blue cheeses, minced thyme and reserved onion; spoon into onions.
- Place onions and stock in a 6-qt. slow cooker; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Romano cheese. Cook, covered, on low until onions are tender, 4-5 hours. Cut in half to serve; sprinkle with thyme leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Sweet Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p24