Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Corn chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped green onions
- Place first 10 ingredients in a large kettle. (Beans do not need to be soaked.) Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 3 hours or until beans and roast are tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; shred with a fork. Return meat to kettle. Cook, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes. Serve over corn chips. Pass remaining ingredients as toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 10g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2015
Apr 10, 2011
This came out really good and made a generous amount. I used a boneless pork roast that was on sale. Froze the leftovers for a couple more meals. Was good, but might add a little more spice and green chili for next time. I'll be making this again!!
Aug 16, 2010