As far back as I remember, I have loved cardamom. My grandmother often added the spice to her baked goods. I usually make these cookies in a camel design with a camel spritz press I found at a thrift shop—it reminds me of a time when I rode a camel in the desert while deployed with the Navy. Of course, any design will do! —Crystal Schlueter, Babbitt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Mix remaining sugar and remaining cardamom; sprinkle over cookies. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes (do not brown). Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 52 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.