This golden bread has a soft, tender texture and the perfect amount of cardamom flavor in every bite. Slices are especially good with a cream cheese spread or fresh honey butter. —Carla Miller, Pasco, Washington
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (18 slices)
- 1/2 cup medium carrot, sliced
- 4 teaspoons cardamom pods
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Transfer carrot and reserved cooking liquid to a small food processor; process until smooth.
- Remove seeds from cardamom pods; discard pods. Coarsely crush seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine crushed cardamom, sugar, oil, salt, pureed carrot, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 25-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends together, forming a round loaf.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water until blended; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 195 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cardamom Twists in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011