This golden bread has a soft, tender texture and the perfect amount of cardamom flavor in every bite. Slices are especially good with a cream cheese spread or fresh honey butter. —Carla Miller, Pasco, Washington
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (18 slices)
- 1/2 cup medium carrot, sliced
- 4 teaspoons cardamom pods
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Transfer carrot and reserved cooking liquid to a small food processor; process until smooth.
- Remove seeds from cardamom pods; discard pods. Coarsely crush seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine crushed cardamom, sugar, oil, salt, pureed carrot, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 25-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends together, forming a round loaf.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water until blended; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 195 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cardamom Twists in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.