Brown Sugar Cutouts
I bake so many cookies for the holidays that I have one recipe box just for cookies alone! But of all of them, these simple cutouts are among my husband's flavor favorites.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
MakesAbout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking soda and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired to some or all of the frosting. Decorate cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 156 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Cutouts in Country Woman Christmas 2005