- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture, just until combined. Stir in apple and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forApple Walnut Bars
"I was looking for an quick and easy dessert that said "autumn" to me. This recipe fit the bill very nicely! I did think that 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon wouldn't be enough, so I bumped that up to 1 tsp and added some allspice and a little nutmeg, as well. With the additional spices, the result was delicious and worthy of 5 stars. My husband loved it, which isn't an easy accomplishment."
"A nice recipe. Bars have a great crunch on the outside, but are very moist inside. Could use some additional seasoning such as cloves, allspice, or more cinnamon, but otherwise very good."
"Very moist and sweet. Delicious."