Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk, oil and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with butter. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteWarmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2017
I've made these rolls many times. They are a family favorite. I have let them rise a little longer, depending on how much time I have. They get a little bigger and are still delicious.
Nov 8, 2016
nice and light, will make again
Dec 23, 2013
These taste amazing, and PLUS they hardly take any time to rise!! So easy, but so TASTY:) Thanks so much for contributing this! I use butter instead of canola oil, and it turns out fine:)
Feb 1, 2011
These have an excellent taste and texture and are so quick to whip up! The only way that I veered from the recipe was to warm the liquid mixture in the microwave (45-50 seconds on high) instead of on the stovetop.
Jan 2, 2011
Great flavor. I did not hve canola oil I used 1/2 vegetable and 1/2 olive oil (it was what Ihad). I made the dogh in my bread machine. I let it do the mixing and the rising. I left it in the machine for about 1 hour. Then rolled it out, cut and baked.