This lasagna is my husband's favorite dish. I love it because it's low-fat and a real time-saver since you don't cook the noodles before baking. —Karen McCabe, Provo, Utah
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Spread 2 cups meat sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture and half of the remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Weekday Lasagna in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p22
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Weekday Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review