When my husband and I wanted to live healthier, our first step was to eat more power foods, such as whole grains, fresh veggies and protein. Combined with our love for Italian food, this tasty lasagna is one of the nutritious results.—Jennifer Yaden, Richmond, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (15 ounces) fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, zucchini, onion and green pepper over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, flax, Italian seasoning and pepper; heat though. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, spinach, egg and vinegar. Spread 1 cup meat mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, 2 cups meat mixture, 1-1/4 cups ricotta cheese mixture and 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat mixture and mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.