Venison Chili con Carne Recipe
Kim Vaughn of Hampton, Virginia shares this thick, spicy chili that’s served over rice. “The venison is tender, and the blend of spices, tomatoes and Italian hot sausage gives it plenty of zip,” Kim notes.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 pounds venison steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown venison in oil; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sausage mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until venison is tender. Stir in parsley. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Venison Chili con Carne in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Venison Chili con Carne(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review