Texas Chili con Carne
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, chili powder, oregano, salt if desired, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 357 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1247mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch.
Nov 9, 2015
This was a really quick and good chili recipe. I had all the ingredients, so I thought I would try it out. Great flavor.
Oct 30, 2012
Good Chili - enough kick - but not too much. Good flavor! I don't like kidney beans and the pinto beans are perfect. I did not add as much onion - but added everything else. Very good!
Oct 21, 2011
I wanted chili to take with me to work as leftoversso I doubled the recipe. It was great!!! The only thing that did not get doubled was the chili powder which I used 4 tsp. I also omitted the salt considering we all get enough of that.