- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook polenta in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until tender. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil and parsley; heat through. Serve with polenta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Veggie-Topped Polenta Slices
"I liked this recipe a lot for the very same reasons the creator did...what you have is sort of what you can use. I cut down the sodium by substituting those new Mrs. Dash table blends for the salt (used the savory one) and I used swiss cheese instead of mozzarella. Swiss cheese has a lot less sodium. We liked it enough that I have made it more than once."
"A fresh and delicious side dish full of bright flavors."