Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large sweet peppers
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a large bowl; mix lightly to combine. Cut and discard tops from sweet peppers; remove seeds. Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and water; pour half of the mixture into an oval 5-qt. slow cooker. Add filled peppers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Sort By :
"I made these last night for my daughter and I. We both loved them! The only change I will make next time is to add some extra spaghetti sauce directly to the mixture before filling the peppers. I think this would make them a tad more flavorful and moisten them up a bit. When you pour the spaghetti sauce directly on top of the pepper, it doesn't get down into the rice mixture at all. I also baked them at 400 for an hour because I didn't have time to make them in the crockpot. Think I will try the crockpot method next time. Overall, delicious!"
"Delicious as-is! Have made this dish several times. It is a go-to. Always have extra stuffing & I mix in some salsa and dip tortilla chips in it for lunch the next day."
"Absolutely delicious! Was looking for a vegetarian entree, and this was perfect! I substituted a can of drained garlic/onion diced tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes, Mexican 4-cheese blend for the Monterrey Jack, and then baked for 30 minutes (foil covered with a bit of water in the pan) at 400 degrees, and then removed the foil, added more cheese to the top, and then baked for another 10 minutes. Will definitely be adding to our repertoire!"
"It was good, just not quite as good as the reviews made it sound"