My family enjoys the wonderful Indian flavors in a traditional samosa. Baked instead of fried, this version has fewer calories but keeps all the classic tastes and textures we love.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, salt, curry powder, cumin and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mashed potatoes, garbanzo beans, peas and cilantro.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spray sheet with cooking spray; repeat with one more sheet of phyllo, spraying the sheet with cooking spray. Cut into two 14-in. x 4-1/2-in. strips.
- Place 2 tablespoonfuls of filling on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, to the end of the strip.
- Spritz end of dough with spray and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and spritz top with spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place triangles on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Vegetable Samosas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p17
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Vegetable Samosas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review