- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Green, purple and yellow sugars
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup sugar, butter, milk, egg yolks, salt, lemon peel, nutmeg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with colored sugars. Yield: 1 cake (12 slices).
Reviews for Traditional New Orleans King Cake
Sort By :
"This recipe is similar to one I use every year. My children absolutely love the tradition of King Cake and look forward to this once a year treat!!!!"
"I also live in New Orleans ... 47 years and Mckenzies had the best King Cakes. King Cakes are traditionally a brioche bread with sprinkled sugar. Tastee Donuts has the Original King Cake recipe now. Now a days King Cakes taste like Cinnamon rolls and are stuffed with Cream Cheese and fruit filling and frosted. It takes away from the French bakery experience altogether, which is a shame.If I want an Italian Coffee cake I will go to Randazzo's. If I want a real King Cake I would find a Brioche bread braid recipe and top it with fine colored sugar and 4 candied cherries."
"I live in New Orleans, and I think Randazzo's Bakery makes THE best King Cakes in town. They are a little pricey and don't sell year round, so I made this recipe to see if it would be good. This recipe is excellent! I agree with TriciaBaker that more cinnamon should be added for a stronger flavor. I added about a cup more confectioner's sugar and added a tsp of vanilla to the icing to give it more of the traditional icing I wanted. Overall, this recipe is an absolute success!"
"THANK YOU for answering my question ellenhguidry."
"The baby is hidden inside cake(push into cake from underside, so it won't show). Tradition says whoever finds baby provides next King cake!"