- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven , saute the carrot, zucchini, yellow squash and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chard is tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Swiss Chard Bean Soup
Sort By :
Wow, we really enjoyed this healthy soup! We substituted garbanzo beans for the great northern beans because that is what I had on hand. I made fresh bread with it - it was a delicious meal!
very colorful and so easy and quick to make, delicious