- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven , saute the carrot, zucchini, yellow squash and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chard is tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Swiss Chard Bean Soup
Sort By :
"Very easy and yummy. Can pretty much use whatever veggies and beans you have on hand."
"Wow, we really enjoyed this healthy soup! We substituted garbanzo beans for the great northern beans because that is what I had on hand. I made fresh bread with it - it was a delicious meal!"